Veteran Shallow Housing Subsidy Case Manager Metro
Shallow Subsidy Case Manager
Job Type: Full Time
The VA Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) Shallow Subsidy service provides rental assistance to low-income Veteran households who are enrolled in SSVF’s Rapid Rehousing or Homeless Prevention projects but remain rent burdened. Under the Shallow Subsidy service, MACV will provide rental assistance payments to landlords on behalf of Veteran households along with light case management services.
This position will provide case management services to Veterans and their families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless and are being served by the MACV Shallow Subsidy program. Responsibilities will include conducting client assessments (including financial, personal, and crisis) to identify issues/barriers and creating a housing stability plan (HSP) with Veterans to address the needs defined by the assessment. This position will also help to ensure timely rent payments to landlords, and proper and complete documentation in client records.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform as member of Housing Subsidy team to rapidly address client needs to address housing barriers creating housing instability
- Perform intake that includes required documentation for admission, referral needs, explanation of program and expectation
- Develop a housing plan with the Veteran/household which includes short-term and long-term goals with objectives and update case plan as required
- Provide case management from a harm-reduction and strength-based model, using Motivational Interviewing to support client identified goals
- Provide financial assistance in accordance with program policies and procedures
- Develop a discharge plan with participants addressing permanent housing stability, economic stability, emotional stability and self-determination
- Attend supervisory, case conferencing, subsidy team and other meetings as directed
- Connecting participants to necessary services by coordinating with other service providers to ensure access, eligibility and follow-through by participant and provider
- Conduct ongoing evaluations of the participant’s progress through the plan, reassessment and adjustments to plan
- Maintain strong working relationships with community agencies to provide comprehensive services for participants and to stay abreast of current trends and resources available.
- Maintain strong working relationships with landlords and property managers to help ensure ongoing lease compliance
- Work with other program staff to ensure compliance with grant outcomes
- Work with partner agencies to review eligibility and assist Shallow Subsidy Program Manager with program implementation to include monitoring visits and quality control
Key Skills and other Characteristics
- Strong communication skills to communicate directly with Veterans and community providers
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work under tight timeline toward crisis resolution for Veterans seeking assistance in crisis situations
- Experience and capacity with managing information within a comprehensive client record management system
- College degree in relevant field (social work, human services) preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills along with strict attention to detail.
- Experience working with individuals who are homeless, chemically dependent or have a mental illness desired.
- Good presentation skills to small groups.
- Works well on a team but can function independently.
- Veteran, or knowledge of Veteran issues, preferred.
- Knowledge of client tracking systems and database background.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Shallow Subsidy Program Manager